Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Bento Holiday

So this last week I was very blessed to have my family come and visit me. This consists of my mom, my brother, and my two younger sisters. We are a crazy wacky family that have tons of fun together and no matter how many miles separates us are very close to one another in spirit.
This incredible gift was given by my Ex-Step Father who wanted us to be able to be together for the holidays. They all came in on last Wednesday evening. There flights so spread out i spent almost the entire night at the airport. Knowing they wouldn't be getting in till 11pm I figured they would be very hungry. So I made all of of them and my friend who we were giving a ride dinner bentos. To my large surprise the bentos were a humongous hit with all of them. They were all hungry, and thought they were cute. I even brought some juice boxes to quench their thirst. They ate them in the car on the drive home (i live a ways from the airport). My mom and sisters liked theirs so much they decided they wanted to start making bentos too. Which since I let them keep each bento I gave them they now have a head start. We spent part of the weekend looking for different cute things to use as accessories for our bentos. Which my loving Uncle Car (he's like my personal daddy long legs) donated some funds to help us get some cute bento accessories.


The bentos have home made mini potato bread pizzas (yes from the daring bakers challenge and they were a hit.) A babel cheese, some gapes, edamame, a fortune cookie and some poky sticks. All topped with little individual juice boxes.
So here are the accessories. I got cute little Christmas fork and spoon that match my hello kitty bento. One has snowmen on them and the other has reindeer. A little baby washcloth to wipe up after myself, a cute hippopotamus container for apples sauce, cottage cheese, or whatever I want to put in it. Three oven safe, dishwasher safe, and microwave safe silicone cups. Perfect for putting things in or baking individual bento sized servings. Also some mini metal cookie cutters for cutting small shaped vegi's or cookies. I chose the angel (because I am angel) and the teddy bear( I love teddies). Some Christmas sauce containers. Ok they are actually gum containers that were the perfect size and lids to be sauce containers. I really like the Christmas tree ones, and my sister Kayla picked out the snowmen ones. Under it all is a brown and gold cloth place mat that me and my mom are going to sew into a home made bento bag over the holidays. We got all of these for each of us, but I only have pictures of mine. There was monkey containers for Kayla, and Tigers with Hippo's for my Mom and Sister Seanna.

7 comments:

Fireskin said...

I loved the bentos and now have mine out and ready for packing tomorrow!


Thank you honey, it was a wonderful, wonderful weekend. And a lot of that was from your effort.

carmachu said...

Those look great!

Now I better get teh cell phone and call Vinnie and Guido back so they dont have persuade you anymore to get the pics up!

I want one, or three....

Angel said...

Thanks mom, I love that you and Kayla have started using yours.

Thanks uncle car, I would like to keep my kneecaps in tact. No Nancy Kerrigans for you!

carmachu said...

Curses! Foiled again.


Oh well, there is always next time....

T’s Treats said...

Those are too cute, you are soo sweet and so dang creative =)

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

What a fab/fun family and sounds like you would always have a lot of fun. Love the idea of you doing them all bentos.

Unknown said...

Love reading this! hey you should read my blog , it's intended to make people confuse or give then a laugh - about random things (poems and stories)

www.justthinkrandomly.blogspot.com

have a wonderful day and keep blogging!