Wednesday, January 20, 2010

And yes even more bread!!! Christmas present loaves!

My previous post was of the savory herb pupmkin loaf that I made. Well for christmas I thought it would make a delicious and fun gift. I changed the recipe so that it would rise better and get along in a loaf pan for better sandwich making.

Here are the changes I made to the recipe.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree plain
1/4 cup of milk
2 1/4 tsp of yeast
1 tsp salt
4 cups flour
1/3 cup slightly roasted pumpkin seeds
1 generous tablespoon of rosemary
1 tablespoon of butter melted

1. mix flour yeast salt, pumpkin seeds and herbs in a bowl
2. heat milk and butter in a separate dish (i use my pyrex measuring cup in the microwave)
3. mix the liquid ingredients into the dry until fully incorporated. Then dump out on a well floured surface and knead as with normal bread. It will be a bit stickier then normal but i just add a little more flour as i go to help with it.
4. put in a lightly oiled bowl flip so both sides have oil on them cover and let rise for 3-4 hours until double in size.
5. punch down knead again and cut in half. Form each half into a loaf shape either by forming with your hands or rolling out and rollling into a log. Place in well oiled loaf pans and leave to rise another hour.
6. when loaves have risen to the size you want 425 degrees bake for 45 minutes. I like to put a pan of water in the bottom wrack of the oven.




These are what you get. They had a nice color and definitely were more slice-able for sandwiches.

I like to rub a little bit of butter over the tops when they first come out of the oven and are on the cooling wracks. This just adds a nice golden color to them, and makes them more savory.

3 of these were gifts to family and the fourth we kept for ourselves.
I sewed up some cute little drawstring bags for the loaves to be delivered in.


What kind of baked goods do you like to give as gifts?

5 comments:

Cookin' Canuck said...

That bread looks delicious! What a great Christmas gift that would be. We like to make chocolate-mint truffles for our friends and neighbors.

Expendable said...

Pumpernickel with raisins in the dough - mmm. I also like date bread (my variation on raisin bread).

Rhandi said...

Wow- this sounds fantastic. I love pumpkin bread and the idea of savory pumpkin bread gets me very excited. The rosemary is a nice touch. This fall, I will for sure be making savory pumpkin bread- can't wait. I may even have to try it this summer.

Angel said...

Thank You! This bread was really fantastic. I can't recommend it enough.

dolly said...

Nice blog...
======
SEO projects